Friday, February 18, 2011

Chronic Diseases Profiled

Much has been written about the many burdens of chronic disease.  The CDC states that chronic diseases are the leading causes of death and disability in the US.  The Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease and the Milken Institute estimate that chronic diseases like asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, cancer and stroke cost the US economy more than $1 trillion.


Such diseases are known to be correlated with obesity, smoking, and diet and so they are believed to be at least partially preventable.  So prevention has the potential to save the US healthcare system many billions of dollars.

A few weeks ago I posted up some interactive data on diabetics that I had pulled together for a project I was working on at NYU. The data came from MEPS, which the sources above also use in their analyses.  I found that I could make a slight tweak to my diabetes MEPS process to pull out the same information on several other chronic diseases.  And I've posted all these up to separate pages on my blog (upper left).  Here are the conditions available: