Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Interactive Diabetes Profile

I've been working with Prof. Dhar at Stern on applying data mining and machine intelligence technology to healthcare data.  I hope to post more on that soon.  While waiting on the logistics of obtaining the actual health plan data for the project, I used free government data from the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) to familiarize myself with the data mining software tools I'd be using later.  I've had experience working with the cumbersome MEPS data before and it is easily downloaded from their website so this was a natural choice.

I ended up with a pretty interesting dataset containing diabetics and demographically matched non-diabetics in 2008 for comparison.  And I found free access to Zoho Reports to render the data in an interactive form.  Not wanting all that work to go to waste I made the interactive reporting available here on my blog.  There is also a link to it in the new "Pages" section at the top of the righthand column. 

Please enjoy the data!